The following is a summary of the competition process and rules. For full details, please see the official Solartis Insure Microservices Hackathon Rules below.
- To participate in the Solartis Insure Microservices Hackathon, you must submit your entry on our official Devpost submission page by 05:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time on Friday, July 27, 2018.
- All submissions must be localized in English in order to be eligible to win a prize. Other languages are fine, but your submission must work in English.
- Any form of technical integration with one or more Solartis Insure Microservices is eligible for the competition.
- When you submit your entry, you must make it available for free to our judges. iOS applications should be made available in the App Store.
- As part of your submission, please include a short video describing your application and demonstrating its use.
- Once you submit your entry, we will review it and post it in the submission gallery on this site.
Official judging: A panel of Solartis employees and outside judges selected by Solartis will evaluate each finalist and vote for their favorite.
When choosing finalists and prize winners, judges will consider three criteria:
- Usability - Does it address a real-world insurance problem?
- Creativity - Is Solartis Insure being mobilized in an innovative way?
- Design - Is it user-friendly and intuitive to use?
- The finalist with the highest score will win the Gold prize of $5,000.
- The finalist with the second-highest score will win the Silver prize of $2,500.
- The finalist with the third-highest score will win the Bronze prize of $1,000.
- Most Innovative Design - $1,000.
- Ease of Implementation - $1,000.
- Best real world Solution - $1,000.
SOLARTIS INSURE HACKATHON OFFICIAL RULES
- DESCRIPTION: The Solartis Insure Microservices Hackathon ("Competition") is designed to motivate and reward Contestants who develop innovative, creative, functional and original applications that integrate with the Solartis Platform. Prizes will be awarded to those eligible Contestants who submit the winning Entries. No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
- SPONSOR AND ADMINISTRATOR: The Competition is sponsored and administered by Solartis ("Solartis"), a corporation with principal place of business at LLC, 1601 N. Sepulveda Blvd., #606, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266. Administrator is responsible for supporting and hosting the Competition website and is the official Competition timekeeper. Sponsor is responsible for these Competition Rules and the application thereof, including but not limited to determining qualified entries, judging, awarding prizes, and contest prize verification.
- BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Competition, a Contestant must agree to these Competition Rules (the "Rules"). Therefore, please read these Rules carefully prior to Entry to ensure you understand and agree with them. You are not required to agree to these Rules (as you may elect not to participate in the Competition), but no one may submit an Entry to be eligible for any prizes in the Competition without agreeing to be bound by these Rules. Each Contestant (including each member of any team or Business Entity Contestant) shall be deemed to agree to these Rules, and shall be considered to enter into a legally binding agreement with Solartis, by submitting an Entry for the Competition, or by clicking a box indicating agreement to be bound by these Rules. Note that capitalized words used in these Rules have the meaning ascribed to them in these Rules.
- CONTESTANTS: In these Rules, we refer to someone who submits an entry for the Competition as a Contestant. At the time of submitting an Entry, we ask that the individual, team or business submitting the Entry identify the individual(s) associated with the Entry, and provide the information required by these Rules. A Contestant may submit more than one Entry and may participate individually and as part of a team or business, and may compete for each prize they are qualified to win (as described below). We regret that we must exclude certain individuals from eligibility as a Contestant, including those Ineligible Persons described below.
SPECIAL APPLICATION OF THE RULES FOR TEAMS AND BUSINESS
CONTESTANTS: If a Contestant enters as part of a team, the Contestant understands and agrees that, in order for his/her team to be eligible to participate, all of the members of the team must register and accept the Rules. The Contestants assume the responsibility for identifying each member of a team at the time the team submits its Entry, and Solartis does not assume any responsibility for checking the identification of team members. The members of a team that are identified with the submission of an Entry shall be final and that team may not add, remove or substitute members, or otherwise change the composition of the team, for the duration of the Competition. Furthermore, a Contestant that is part of a team understands and agrees that if his/her team is selected to receive a prize, each Contestant on the team is responsible for ensuring the prize is appropriately distributed to each member of the team. Finally, in order to remain eligible to win a prize, the team and each member of that team must satisfy the eligibility requirements in these rules, including the submission of a Contest Prize Validation Agreement (discussed below); if one member of the team does not comply with these Rules or is disqualified, the team as a whole will be disqualified.
Solartis encourages entries from businesses and other legal entities. If an Entry is submitted on behalf of a corporation, limited liability company, partnership or other legal entity (any of which being referred to as a "Business Entity"), the Contestant(s) submitting the Entry hereby certifies to Solartis that (1) the appropriate authorization from the corporate officers, executives, managers or other required persons or group has been obtained, (2) the individual Contestants are in some manner legally associated with the Business Entity and (3) the individual accepting the Rules on behalf of the Business Entity is authorized to legally bind the Business Entity. A Business Entity submitting an Entry shall be legally bound by these Rules by the act of the Contestant(s) acting on its behalf. Each Contestant associated with and/or submitting an Entry for or on behalf of a Business Entity acknowledges and agrees that if the Contestant enters the Competition without obtaining the requisite authorization, Solartis may, in its sole discretion, disqualify the Contestant and the Business Entity and any submitted Entry. Finally, if a Business Entity is selected to receive a prize, a corporate officer or other authorized person entitled to bind the Business Entity will be required to execute and deliver the Contest Prize Validation Agreement on behalf of the Business Entity.
- COMPETITION ENTRIES: A submission by a Contestant must satisfy the following requirements in order to qualify as an “Entry” for the Developer Competition:
6.1 The complete Entry must be submitted before 05:00 P.M. Eastern Time on July 27, 2018 (the “Competition Entry Deadline”).
6.2 Each Contestant must provide the registration information required at the Solartis Insure Microservices Hackathon Entry page, including a valid working email address. The contact person for the Competition for such Entry will be the authorized account holder of the email address provided at the time of Entry. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned to an email address by the provider of such email service. (Please note the provisions of these Rules relating to Solartis's collection and use of submitted registration information, below.)
6.3 The submitted application must be an original work of the Contestant that includes a technical integration with the Solartis platform, using one or more Solartis Web Service APIs. The submitted application (by itself or as part of another application) cannot have been publicly available as a Solartis integration prior to April 28, 2018. For the avoidance of doubt, any beta, demo, trial or incomplete version of an application that was available publicly on a website or via an alternative delivery mechanism such as the iTunes App Store, Google Play, BlackBerry App World or other channel prior to April 28, 2018 is ineligible. In addition, any application with respect to which Solartis has provided any substantial development assistance is ineligible. Any determination as to whether an application is ineligible under this Section of the Rules will be made by Solartis in its sole discretion and will be final and binding.
6.4 The submitted application must be executable so that the Judges may evaluate it through use with the Solartis Insure Microservice APIs.
6.5 The submitted application must be accompanied by a video describing and demonstrating the application. The video should be no longer than three minutes and it cannot violate the Solartis Terms of Service applicable to user “Content”.
7.6 A submitted application must, at a minimum, support English language use but may also support other languages at the discretion of the Contestant.
6.7 An application that contains (1) sexual, violent, abusive, harassing, offensive or insulting content or (2) enables or promotes any illegal activity or (3) infringes any other party’s legal rights may be disqualified. All determinations regarding compliance with these content policies or any disqualification hereunder will be made at Solartis's sole discretion and will be final and binding.
6.8 Any application submitted shall not require any fee or expense to be incurred by the Judges and is provided with the license rights described below.
- JUDGING: After the Competition Entry Deadline, all eligible Entries will be subject to judging in order to determine the prize winners.
7.1 The judges for the Competition shall consist of a panel of Solartis employees and Solartis - selected judges (the “Expert Judges”).
7.2 The Judges shall be asked to consider three equally-weighted criteria when assessing each Entry and:
- Usability - Does it address a real-world insurance problem?
- Creativity - Is Solartis Insure being mobilized in an innovative way?
- Design - Is it user-friendly and intuitive to use
7.3 The final score in the voting for the Gold, Silver and Bronze Prizes will be determined as follows. The Finalist with the highest score will be designated the Gold Prize winner. The Finalist with the second-highest score will be designated the Silver Prize winner. The Finalist with the third-highest score will be designated the Bronze Prize winner. In the case of a tie, the Expert Judges will review the Finalists that are tied and vote for the winner.
7.4 If any Contestant selected as a prize recipient is disqualified for any reason, the next highest-scoring Contestant will be designated as the recipient of that prize. The winners of the Gold Prize, Silver Prize and Bronze Prize along with three special prizes will be announced Solartis web site on August 3rd, 2018.
- PRIZES AND CONDITIONS TO AWARDING PRIZES:
8.1 Solartis will award the following prizes:
(a) one (1) Gold Prize in the amount of Five Thousand United States Dollars (US$5,000) awarded to that Finalist securing the highest score as a result of the voting described above;
(b) one (1) Silver Prize in the amount of Two Thousand Five Hundred United States Dollars (US$2,500) awarded to the Finalist securing the second-highest score as a result of the voting described above;
(c) one (1) Bronze Prize in the amount of Thousand United States Dollars (US$1,000) awarded to the Finalist securing the third-highest score as a result of the voting described above;
(d) three (3) special prizes, each in the amount of Thousand United States Dollars (US$1,000) awarded to the Most Innovative Design, Ease of Implementation, Best real world Solution.
8.2 All Prizes are contingent on Contestant's compliance with these Rules.
8.3 Solartis is not responsible for decisions on the division or distribution of any prize among or between team members or Business Entities. Instead, the decision on how to distribute or divide any prize among individual team members or within Business Entities is the sole responsibility of the participating team or Business Entity. Each Contestant hereby expressly waives any claim they may have against Solartis relating to the division of any prize among team members or Business Entities and expressly agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Solartis from and against any and all claims relating to such allocation of prizes and agrees that Solartis may offset against the amount of any prize to be awarded the amount of costs incurred by Solartis, including any legal or other professional fees, arising from and relating to any such claim or dispute.
8.4 The payment to potential prize recipients is subject to the express requirement that the Contestant submit to Solartis all documentation requested by Solartis to permit it to comply with all applicable United States, state, local and foreign (including provincial) tax reporting and withholding requirements. Any prize will be net of any taxes Solartis may be required to withhold (and Solartis may rely upon the advice of its accountants to determine withholding, which decision shall be final and binding). The winning Contestant(s) shall be responsible for ensuring compliance with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements and the payment of all taxes that may be assessed against the Contestant on account of their receipt of a prize. If a Contestant fails to comply with the requirements of these Rules, the right to receive the prize may be forfeited and Solartis may, in its sole discretion, select an alternative prize recipient.
8.5 CONTEST PRIZE VALIDATION AGREEMENT: All Contestants who are Finalists or are selected to receive a prize will be required to complete and enter into a Contest Prize Validation Agreement and/or other documents prior to being identified as a Finalist or receiving a prize. The Contest Prize Validation Agreement will contain (i) an affidavit as to the requirements for eligibility in the Competition, (ii) a publicity release providing Solartis the right to use the Contestant’s name, the Solartis web site and in related media promoting Solartis, (iii) an indemnification agreement relating to any breach of warranties made by Contestant under these Rules and (iv) such other provisions that may be required to comply with laws applicable to the awarding of the prize, including tax requirements. If a team or Business Entity is selected as a potential prize recipient, all members of the team or a person with the authority to bind the Business Entity, must enter into the Contest Prize Validation Agreement, which will also provide how the prize should be awarded. Failure to comply with this requirement or to submit any of these documents within the time period specified in an email from Solartis providing the Agreement may mean that the Entry will no longer be eligible to win the applicable prize and Solartis may, in its sole discretion, select an alternative Contestant as a Finalist and/or to receive the prize.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between Solartis and the Contestant, the Contestant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights in and to the Entry, including the right to offer and distribute the application commercially, except for the license rights granted in these Rules. In order for an application to be eligible as an Entry, each Contestant submitting the application must, and hereby does, grant Solartis a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, free and non-exclusive license to (i) use, reproduce, publicly perform and publicly display the material that Contestant submits to this Competition for the purposes of allowing Solartis to use, test and evaluate the Entry for purposes of the Competition, to administer the technical and other requirements of the Competition including distribution of the Entry to the Judges, and to advertise, display, demonstrate or otherwise promote the Competition. Contestant specifically agrees that Solartis shall have the right to use, reproduce, publicly perform and publicly display the Entry in connection with the advertising and promotion of the Competition, Solartis via communication to the public or other groups, including, without limitation, the right to make screenshots, animations and video clips available for promotional purposes.
Contestant also hereby grants to the Expert Judges, non-exclusive, free and worldwide license to install, perform, display and use the Entry on any compatible computing device. If Contestant chooses, Contestant may enable technical measures in their Entry to prevent use of the Entry beyond a certain date provided that, in order to be eligible for a prize, the date is later than July 22, 2018 or any modified, later date marking the end of the Competition. Contestant may not charge a fee for the download of an Entry by Solartis, the Expert Judges.
- PUBLICITY RELEASE: Each Contestant hereby grants Solartis the right to use, publicly display, publish and reproduce, for all purposes, including publicity, promotion and advertising, in any media, online or offline, Contestant’s name, city, state and country of residence, voice, photograph, likeness and image, including any video and other images and audio files submitted by Contestant in connection with the Competition or obtained by Solartis, and create, use, publish and reproduce derivative works thereof (collectively, “Publicity Materials”). Contestant hereby waives any right Contestant may have to inspect or approve the Publicity Materials, as used in connection with the Competition, and any and all right to receive compensation of any kind on account of such use based on claims of the Contestant as to the rights of privacy, publicity, notoriety or any other rights arising out of or relating to any use by Solartis of the Contestant’s name, likeness or appearance, and/or the content of their Entry.
Each Contestant also understands this data may be used by Solartis in order to verify a Contestant's identity, address, telephone number and eligibility to receive a prize in the event a Contestant is chosen to potentially receive a prize. Each Contestant has the right to access, review, rectify or cancel any personal data held by Solartis in connection with the Competition by writing to Solartis at the address listed above. If a Contestant does not provide the data required at submission of an application, that Contestant will be ineligible.
For residents of the European Union: Pursuant to EU law pertaining to data collection and processing, you are informed that:
- The data controller is Solartis and the data recipients are, initially, Administrator, Solartis and its partners, contractors and agents;
- Your personal data will be transferred to the U.S.
- Your data is collected for purposes of administration of the Competition;
- You have a right of access to and withdrawal of your personal data. You also have a right of opposition to the data collection, under certain circumstances. To exercise such right, you may write to: Solartis, LLC, 1601 N. Sepulveda Blvd., #606, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266.
- WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Each Contestant, by registering and submitting any Entry, warrants that their registration information is accurate and that that they are the sole and exclusive owner and/or authorized licensee of all rights in and to the content of their submitted Entry, that no third parties will make any challenges or claims as to ownership or fraud, and that they have the right to submit the Entry in the Competition and grant all required licenses under these Rules. Each Contestant warrants that the Contestant has not submitted any Entry that (1) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligations; or (2) otherwise violates applicable U.S. law or the law of the Contestant's country of residence.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Contestant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Solartis and Administrator at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Contestant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Contestant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Administrator, Solartis and the Judges, their affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) any material uploaded or otherwise provided by the Contestant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, (b) any misrepresentation made by the Contestant in connection with the Competition; (c) any non-compliance by the Contestant with these Rules; and (d) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to the Contestant's involvement with the Competition. To the extent permitted by law, Contestant agrees to hold each of Administrator and Solartis, its respective directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the Competition and/or use or acceptance of any Prize, except to the extent that any death or personal injury is caused by the negligence of Solartis or Administrator. Neither Solartis nor Administrator is responsible for any claims or disputes between one Contestant and any other Contestant regarding the ownership of the Entry or the content within the Entry. Solartis may disqualify any individual Contestant, Business Entity or Team, without recourse and in its sole discretion, if any such claim or dispute arises. In addition, each Contestant hereby agrees that if any such claim or dispute arises, Solartis may reduce the amount of any prize awarded to the Contestants who submitted the Entry by the reasonable amount of any expenses and any costs or damages (including settlement payments) made by Solartis in connection therewith.
- ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Competition by any Contestant including information concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address or ownership of right, or non-compliance with these Rules, or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the Contestant from the Competition. Solartis further reserves the right to disqualify any Entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, otherwise does not comply with these Rules or violates U.S. or applicable local law in Contestant's country of residence.
- NETWORKS: Solartis is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, including, without limitation, any delay or failure of delivery of any notice or other communications concerning the Competition or any Entry or award or delivery of any prize. Solartis is not responsible for theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of Entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind. Solartis is not responsible for inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive Entry information by Solartis on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Competition is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Competition, Solartis reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition. Each Contestant who registers for the Competition will receive email notification of any such action. Solartis further reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant who tampers with the submission process, the voting or any other part of the Competition. Any attempt by a Contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Solartis reserves the right to seek damages from any such Contestant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
- GOVERNING LAW; FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, United States of America, excluding all conflict of law rules. If any provision in these Rules is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be modified to the extent legally permissible to most closely implement the intention of such provision and all other provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. Solartis reserves the right to modify these Rules at any time prior to completion of the Competition to address any legal or other requirement that may arise in connection with the Competition. Each Contestant who registers for the Competition will receive email notification of any such change in the Rules. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Competition are hereby excluded, and all Contestants expressly waive any and all such rights.
- ARBITRATION: By entering the Competition, each Contestant agrees that exclusive jurisdiction for any dispute, claim or demand related in any way to the Competition will be decided by binding arbitration. All disputes between you and Solartis, of whatsoever kind or nature arising out of these Rules, shall be submitted to Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc. ("JAMS") for binding arbitration under its rules then in effect in Los Angeles Country, California, USA area, before one arbitrator to be mutually agreed upon by both parties. The parties agree to share equally in the arbitration costs incurred.
- WINNER'S LIST: You may request a list of winners after August 3, 2018 by writing to: Solartis Insure Hackathon, Solartis, LLC, 1601 N. Sepulveda Blvd., #606, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266.
- INTERPRETATIONS OF RULES: Where Solartis has provided you with a translation of the English language version of the Rules, then you agree that the translation is provided for your convenience only and that the English language versions of the Rules will govern your relationship with Solartis. If there is any contradiction between what the English language version of the Rules says and what a translation says, then the English language version shall take precedence. All time references in these Rules shall be to Eastern Daylight Time in the United States.
- INELIGIBLE PERSONS: The Developer’s Contest is not open to any of the following persons (“Ineligible Persons”): (1) anyone who is not at least the legal age of majority, at the time of Entry, to form valid contracts in their respective country, province or state of legal residence; (2) anyone who does not satisfy any applicable legal requirements under United States and other applicable jurisdictional legal requirements for participation; (3) anyone who is a resident of Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, Myanmar or to individuals and entities restricted by United States export controls and sanctions, and any other nation, state or province where prohibited or restricted by United States or other applicable laws, or where the applicable laws are in any material manner inconsistent with these Rules. Employees, independent contractors under a current services agreement with Solartis or Administrator (a “Current Contractor”) and the parent companies, affiliates and subsidiaries of either Solartis, Administrator or any Current Contractor, and members of their immediate families (defined as parents, children, siblings and spouse, regardless of where they reside and/or those living in the same household of each) are not eligible to participate in the Competition. Solartis and Administrator reserve the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: Prizes are awarded without warranty of any kind from Solartis or Administrator, express or implied, without limitation, except where this would be contrary to federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulations. All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. Submission of Entry into this Competition deems that Contestants agree to be bound by these Rules and by the decisions of Solartis, Administrator and the Judges, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Competition. Under no circumstances shall the submission of an Entry in the Competition, the awarding of a prize or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with Solartis or Administrator. Failure to respond within any time period specified in the email notification of potential award of a prize may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate prize recipient. A Contestant may be prohibited from participating in this Competition if, in either Solartis's sole discretion or Administrator’s sole discretion, either reasonably believes that the Contestant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition by cheating, deception or other unfair voting or other practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other Contestants, Solartis, Administrator or the Judges.
You acknowledge and understand that Solartis, its business partners and others may independently develop applications that may be similar to or identical to your Entry in terms of idea, functionality or in other respects. You agree that you will not be entitled to any rights in, or compensation in connection with, any such similar or identical applications and/or ideas as a result of your submission of any application or description of any application in a video or other submission or communications with Solartis. You acknowledge that you have submitted your Entry voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. You acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between you and Solartis and that no such relationship is established by your registration in the Competition or any submission of an Entry to Solartis under these Rules.
You acknowledge that Entries may be subject to United States export and import laws, regardless of location or nationality. You agree to comply with all applicable export and import controls, including, but not limited to, the United States Department of Commerce's Export Administration Regulations, sanctions programs administered by the United States Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control and any export laws applicable in your country of residence. You warrant that all of your Entries are authorized for import into, and export from, the United States